Friday, May 19, 2006

More splashes

While doing watercolour splashes last week, I remembered that, in secondary school, I used to have a little tool that made colour splashes very easy and beautiful. It was a small rectangular mesh with a handle at the end. What you do is dip an old toothbrush in your paint, then rub the toothbrush on top of the mesh. The paint spreads beautifully on the paper (rather than on the walls), like a very fine mist.

This was the first thing that I looked for when I got home in Champion last week. I knew that the chances of finding it were good, as my mother finds it painful to throw anything away. And within 10 minutes, we had found it, along with a set of gouache pots (which could not be salvaged - they were bought at least 24 years ago).

So, when I got back home, I had to try it out. As you've probably guessed by now, I love experimenting with paints. The white lines were made with "Masquepen" masking fluid. The watercolours I used were Winsor & Newton Cotman Mauve, Dioxazine Violet and Cadmium Red Pale Hue.

No comments:

Post a Comment