Saturday, May 06, 2006

Baros Palm

Done! And I never want to paint another palm tree! I'm not 100% happy with the result, but it's the best I can do.

Judge for yourselves:















(I took a picture of the watercolour with a Nikon camera, and then reworked it in Photoshop Elements - the photo had a blue cast which I removed. I think this is an accurate photo of the watercolour, but it's very subjective)

One thing that bugs me about it is that I didn't catch the tension of the leaves - i.e. the angle at which they sprout from the branches - in the bottom right corner, I have the leaves bending downwards. If you look at the photo, you'll see that they actually spring upwards, and that's what gives the picture its dynamic feel. The way I have the leaves drooping down makes the watercolour painting look "tired"

No plans for the next project yet - I might get back to a bit of drawing, or maybe just splashes of colour, so I don't have to think too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment