Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Aboriginal Snail

Here is another of my watercolour squares. I can honestly say that the dots were inspired by the Aboriginal paintings I was looking at recently (see my post of 27 April).

I was about to say that there are probably no snails in the Australian outback, but then I found a website that says that "There are over 1000 species of native Australian snails and slugs."

I also found out on this website that "The white shell of a Central Australian desert snail helps the species survive intense heat". There seems to be a lot of government interest on the subject. If you want to find out more, you can refer to the Fauna of Australia series ("This newest volume in the Fauna of Australia series includes more than 2 000 exquisite line drawings and colour photographs and is available for $295 from the Australian National Botanic Gardens Bookshop or from CSIRO Publishing toll free 1800 645 051")

I even found some websites on snail farming in Australia.

You learn something new every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment