Thursday, July 04, 2024

Sketching while travelling

I'm going back and forth to Belgium a good bit at the moment, to see my mother. Her arm is healing. Her brain, not, obviously. But she's on new medication, and she's not as agitated as she had been. We had a surprise visit to the hospital, for an xray and review with the orthopaedic doctor. Surprise in that it was organised by the nursing home, but nobody had informed us about it. So it was all a bit stressful, particularly when the doctor was running an hour late and we had to wait an hour and a half for the ambulance-taxi service to go back to the nursing home. Which would have been fine if the dispatch operator had told me. At some stage, I really felt like they had forgotten about us! I gave my Mum my handbag, and that seemed to be enough to occupy her, so she wasn't too stressed. But I was! Then, the ambulance driver was lovely and we had the joy of hearing my mother singing along to "One belle pitite gayole" from the back of the car! One of those moments that brings pure joy.

On those trips, I'm really not in sketching mode. I did a bit of sketching in Dublin airport, in a very small sketchbook (A6 I think, that's ridiculously small for me). Two young women at the gate beside me were sketching too. They were from Australia and were travelling around the world. They were illustrators and were really good, so it was a bit intimidating, but still, it encouraged me to keep going! I wasn't going to sketch in Brussels airport on the way back, but then I picked up a pink pencil from my stash, and once I started, I kept going.









I also tried something in graphite. And something in watercolour at the hotel in the evening. But I was too wrecked. I'm just adding them here for completion's sake.





No comments:

Post a Comment