Saturday, July 13, 2024

I love flowers, but not painting them. Why is that?

I was given two beautiful bouquets of flowers recently. I love flowers. Now, before they waste away, I want to paint them, but it's hard. I don't know why it is I find it so hard to paint flowers? Maybe it's the time pressure? I have to get to them before they fade, even if I'm in the middle of another project. Maybe it's the variety of shapes and colours, and trying to give volume to all those greens. And then white flowers are even harder! I made two attempts, from direct observation, and I was completely overwhelmed by the size and shapes, so I ended up choosing some elements only rather than the whole vase and bouquet. Initially, I thought this is never gonna work. But I added darker elements to one of them today (including a little bit of Stabilo Woody - I'm not a purist anymore!) and I am surprised at the result! So I might have another go tomorrow and see how it goes!




No comments:

Post a Comment