Tuesday, November 23, 2021

The Cobblestone

Dublin Sketchers were meeting at Smithfield, so I couldn't pass the opportunity to sketch the Cobblestone pub, a famous traditional music pub currently under threat from a hotel development. It's so sad to see so much of what makes Dublin so special disappearing, taken over by bland office and hotel developments. If it keeps on going like this, there will be nothing for the tourists to come to Dublin for. And we'll have all these empty hotels. I just don't get it! And it makes me so angry. And you might be able to see from my sketch that the three adjacent buildings are boarded up and supported by steels. They were probably acquired by a developer years ago and they've let them collapse to the point that the only thing that can be done is to pull them down and build something new. Why does this keep happening? What is wrong with our planning laws and those who are responsible for their implementation?

 



We got photographed by Tom Mulligan I believe and our photo was posted on the Cobblestone pub Instagram page. Famous at last! I'm the one in the middle!


No comments:

Post a Comment