Tuesday, November 02, 2021

One bridge too far

The last stretch of Bridges of the river Liffey. Again, it was cold.

Starting at the Four Courts. It was raining. I knew it was going to rain. I did bring an umbrella, but it's not easy to sketch standing up while holding an umbrella. Both arms got sore and tired pretty quickly!

Then Father Mathew Bridge. To me it looks exactly like the O'Donovan Rossa Bridge! Both were designed by the same man. And by the way, did you know that some of the bridges of Dublin were named for temperance campaigners? Isn't it ironic, in a city known for its pubs!


Mellows Bridge - another Dublin tradition is to name its bridges for its revolutionaries, in this case Liam Mellows, who was executed during the civil war.


After a soup in the Brazen Head (soup lovely, service awful), I set back to work, and then, I was like a woman possessed. I just wanted to be done! So I left the rest of the gang behind and I sketched like my life depended on it.

This next one, the James Joyce Bridge, is not my best effort. And as you may have guessed, another beloved naming tradition - Irish authors and writers!


Rory O'More Bridge, a cast iron bridge from a foundry in Lancashire. This bridge was opened by Queen Victoria and initially named after her, but it was later renamed for, you guessed it, an Irish revolutionary!


Frank Sherwin Bridge, not the most exciting design. It was named after a politician! Are any of our bridges named after women? I never thought of that until just now. We're going to have to start a petition, won't we!


Seán Heuston Bridge - yes, he was a revolutionary! And this is the end of my journey sketching the bridges of Dublin city. There are more, and you never know, I might decide to go further some day. And there's also two canals! But that's it for me for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment