Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Georges Street Arcade

Never let a wet afternoon stop you from sketching! We were in the city centre, in a lovely area with gorgeous old buildings, which hopefully won't be turned into a fancy hotel. It rained right from the start, but I was lucky. I got a spot under the canopy of a fashion shop that didn't open that Sunday afternoon, Costume. The ground was a bit sticky, beer I hope. But I had my mini stool with me, so it was ok. Sitting on the ground, not for me!

If you're ever in Dublin, look up at the roofs and check out all the wonderful chimneys. Some are simple, others are really ornate! I slightly exaggerated the slenderness of these beauties - in reality they wouldn't stand up to an Irish gale. The mast with all the satellite dishes is in Dublin Castle, the next block over, where the gardai have their offices.

I did the full drawing on location, then went into the Powerscourt Townhouse centre just around the corner to warm up and got a table upstairs at a café that wasn't open, so I had the whole place to myself and I could spread my paints and sketchbook to my heart's content! After using the bathrooms (and drying my watercolour under the hand-dryer!!), I got myself a lovely matcha latte in Kaph and joined the others for a chat. We ended up in Grogans, outside, under the canopy - it was pissing rain at that stage, but we toughed it out - I could feel the heat from the outside heaters, although I had my hood up and my umbrella partially open to keep myself dry! It was just so nice to have a drink and chat with people who are as passionate about sketching as I am!



No comments:

Post a Comment