Friday, June 25, 2021

Trying darks and neutrals, and then reverting to what makes me happy

Lots of leftover paints in a number of palettes - time for a clean-up! That means I'm not using fresh paint out of the tube, but fresh enough, with a little spritz of water!

I had lots of Graphite Grey, Schmincke Neutral Tint, some New Gamboge, Indanthrene blue, and a small bit of Lunar Blue.

So I searched Landscape in my Google Photos. Or Cliffs? I'm not sure, but I found some photos from the Beara peninsula and the Dingle Peninsula too, and I recreated an idea of the places rather than an accurate description.

Like all in the current series, they've been painted 4 to a quarter sheet, so about postcard-size each.

Darks - for me, this is dark!

The two main darks are Schmincke Neutral tint for the purple mountain in the distance and Daniel Smith Graphite Grey for the rocks in the foreground. This is a view from the top of the Healy Pass looking at Glanmore Lake, on the Beara Peninsula. It's a view that's continuing to intrigue and elude me!






Neutrals

I rarely paint with so few colours! This is from a photo I took on the Dingle Peninsula, near Dunquin, where the road follows a river down to the sea. When I took the photo, the left side of the river was in sunshine, full of Autumn warm colours, and the right was in deep shadow. These 4 are my interpretation of the scene, first in greys only, then with colours added.






What makes me happy

After these, I needed to go to a bright colour, so in comes Nickel Azo Yellow, and other happy colours. Again, a view from the Dingle Peninsula.

The only conclusion I come to is that I like bright colours, and dry brush!







No comments:

Post a Comment