Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Searching Sunset in Google Photos

Sometimes, I just scroll through my Favourites in Google Photos. Sometimes, I search for something, big waves, trees, or in this case, sunsets!

As I decided to be kind to myself this month and only paint thumbnails (four to a quarter sheet, each more or less postcard size), I'm going to have a lot of material to paint in a larger format over the next few months! It's great to be using my Google Photos as a source of inspiration - it's a bit like all these things I've saved on Pinterest over the years and never look at! To actually look at them, to use them for something that makes me happy, it's like all these photos are finally fulfilling their destiny!

Two of the pieces are "derivative", a subject that's been much discussed in the 30x30 group. One is a copy of a painting I came across on Instagram and screenshot because I loved its simplicity. The other is inspired by a photo taken by a relative in America. I always love looking at her photos on Facebook and always thought they would make a good starting point for a painting. So there you go.



A copy of a painting by Juan Saturio. I wouldn't even call it a copy. The original is so much more interesting!. Some Genuine Hematite, some raw sienna, and probably some hansa yellow deep. A dash of PV19 mixed in with the yellow to create a rusty colour.


Trees in front of our house.


Houses in the neighbourhood. I loved the row of houses and the golden sky behind it.


And this one is based on a photo of Collins Pond, taken by Cheryl André. Cheryl is a distant relative, by marriage. My father had an uncle (not a direct uncle? I'm not 100% sure) who emigrated to America when he was a young boy. The two sides of the family kept in touch. I remember Elise well, the uncle's daughter. She came to Europe often, and stayed with us many times. She was independent-minded and I always admired her. And more recently, I got to know David, the uncle's son. Well, Cheryl was married to David. My parents actually met her on their one trip to America, many moons ago. I still remember the Barbie Tent they brought back home for me - it had yellow sleeping bags, and a little plastic camp fire, and many more accessories that I have now forgotten. Well, Cheryl turned up on an art Facebook group I had also joined a few years ago, and we've been Facebook friends since! And this is the view from her house somewhere on the East Coast of America!



No comments:

Post a Comment