Friday, June 18, 2021

The Merry Cobbler

I just love urban sketching! Just wish we had better weather for it!! So, on this occasion, a few of us went to Irishtown, a lovely area between Ringsend and Sandymount. Full of quaint little houses, churches, pubs, industrial areas, parks, and it's near the Liffey, the East Wall bridge. So much to choose from.

But I had to start somewhere. And as I often do, I just sketched at the first point that caught my eye, Barrack Lane, beside the Merry Cobbler.

I stood to do my overall shapes sketch, then sat down on my little stool when I felt I had enough information so I wouldn't mess up perspective lines! That was the whole drawing really. I got out my paints. And it started to rain. Then it stopped. Then it started again. I had an umbrella, but it's not very comfortable. So the third time it started to rain, I took up the kind publican on his offer to take shelter at their covered terrace. At that point, I was totally frozen, despite a light fleece, a padded jacket, a woolly hat and mittens! I was so relieved when the waitress arrived, so I ordered a hot chocolate, and continued with adding colour to my sketch, getting up every so often to go back over to the lane and check a detail. I did take a photo too, although I didn't use it much.

The shadows had to be invented, as is so often necessary in Ireland on grey days when you cannot see any cast shadow or form shadow whatsoever!

Still, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. It feels like urban sketching is an endurance sport here, but also a good opportunity to meet kind souls, like this publican who opened his pub early for us so we wouldn't be stuck in the rain! Great hot chocolate. And ginormous and delicious ham and cheese toasted sandwich! I get the feeling we'll be back again!

 


This is how the sketch was when I got home. I added the little lights over the alleyway, darks in pencil at the front of the building, golden gel pen lettering and red Posca marker flowers!
As you can see, the sketchbook's binding isn't looking great. I don't remember that happening with previous ones, or maybe I opened it too flat? 


No comments:

Post a Comment