Sunday, June 20, 2021

Blooms everywhere

What I felt was missing in my recent watercolours was the flow and merging of pigments and water running across the page. I'm fascinated by Marc Taro Holmes's approach and his musings on this blog never cease to inspire me. My colour choices are completely different from his, and my talent level too, obviously. But that doesn't mean I can't be inspired and explore!

So here are a dozen or so pieces done 4 to a quarter sheet. That means that each is about postcard size. And my goal here was to explore blooms (funny, I'm writing this on Bloomsday! And by the way, one of my sketches is exhibited in the online Bloomsday retrospective from the Olivier Cornet Gallery! I'm so chuffed!).

Yes, blooms, the thing most watercolour artists are taught to avoid at all cost. But they are so beautiful. So exciting. So I had to relearn how to paint blooms (the trick is flat paper and lots of water!). For these,  I chose seaside scenes, waves, big skies, distant hills. I hope you enjoy them! They might not look very specific, but they make me happy!

They're all about postcard size.

Pigments: cerulean blue, lunar blue, indanthrene blue, goethite, cobalt blue and carbazole violet. I hadn't expected much from lunar blue, but it produced just the effects I wanted! I also used some phthalo blue, and some green apatite genuine in some of them!
















I also tried one on quarter sheet, but lost the shapes I was after.

Somehow more interesting upside down! I must try and do layers over this to make it into a landscape of some sort!

No comments:

Post a Comment