Thursday, June 17, 2021

Love D8

Oh, I love urban sketching! Last Sunday, Dublin Sketchers went to the area of Donore Avenue near South Circular Road, in Dublin 8 (D8). The residents in the area had organised a yard sale in aid of their objection to the construction of a huge apartment block development at the site of the old Player Wills factory. The posters at the hoardings make it look all beautiful and sophisticated, but don't be fooled - we're talking about a 19-story block towering over an area of ordinary terraced houses, with 2 floors and a small garden. In some locations, the apartment block will take up the whole sky from someone's backgarden. And the apartments won't even be for sale. Rental only! So the residents are doing what they can to oppose the development.

If you want more information about their campaign, here is the link.

I spent a lovely afternoon, sketching and chatting to locals.

The first person I met was the lovely Elaine, who was sitting on an old sofa in an alleyway at the back of the houses. Beside her was Elmo the gorgeous rescue dog. He's about a year and a half, and they've had him since February. He had a traumatic past and is still nervous of people. Although I have to say he did really well, with all the passersby coming and going. Elaine persuaded her son to sit beside her so I could sketch him too. They had lots of interesting old skateboards for sale, and the sofa plus two matching chairs. Lots of kids asked if the dog was for sale. He wasn't. He's very much part of the family.


Then I went into someone's backgarden and sketched their blue vespa. Not for sale. They had two boxes full of Love D8 tshirts for sale, though. I bought one, after spending about half an hour in their garden sketching the vespa! Funny story about the vespa - the original sketch was missing the back wheel. It's only when I sketched the plants in the background that I realised something was missing! Thankfully, I managed to mix a good thick dark and my problem was instantly solved! PS: I did this one in direct watercolour, with no underdrawing at all. Still part of #30x30directwatercolor2021!


When we met at a local café (café terraces reopened on the 7th of June), I was still in the mood for sketching. So I sketched Gráinne, and Catherine's cycling helmet. Got my proportions completely wrong. But hey, it was a fun afternoon, just like we used to have before the pandemic. And the café's bathrooms were open and clean! The things we used to take for granted, and now are so grateful for!


I added the text and the background colour to the last sketch when I got home. Here's how they looked when I got into the car!




No comments:

Post a Comment