Friday, January 19, 2024

Shopfronts of Dublin - Hodges Figgis

This month, I want to concentrate on drawing. I feel that I won't be able to get back into painting without grounding myself into the practise of drawing. Or maybe I will miss painting so much that I will be ready to hit the ground running when I start again? Who knows?

Both the sketches below were done on location, at the Luas stop across the street from Hodges Figgis (bookshop) and inside a cafĂ© nearby. It was cold to be sitting outdoors. It is January. But Ireland, when it is dry, is never as cold as the continent. 

I was feeling a bit out of sorts - between the emptiness of Christmas and a trip to Belgium to see my mother. Maybe it's why I chose grey markers only. Or maybe it's simply that it was too miserable to take out my watercolours? I do envy urban sketchers who live in warmer climes!





No comments:

Post a Comment