Tuesday, November 24, 2020

The house on the mountain

I love exploring a new subject. There's a lot to puzzle out before I reach a stage where I'm happy with it. But often the early attempts have a lot going for them.

First two studies. I like the flow of light better on the one on the left. I like the colours better on the one on the right. Pity I placed the house in the middle!! Both done on a quarter sheet. I'm going to have to work on a half sheet to have room to move. Deep intake of breath!
And the pattern on the mountain does read LA, but I can't keep that in the painting, surely!!

This is a heavily zoomed-in view of a beautiful house literally on the side of a mountain. The view is from the top of the Healy Pass, looking down towards Glanmore Lake. The first time I was there, the light hitting the side of the mountain was pure magic. And that house (it looks tiny in the distance, but is actually quite substantial when I zoom in) is nestled at the bottom of the sheer vertical side of the mountain, with beautiful fields and mature trees down below. I love the contrast between the barren mountain and the rich fields. And I also worry about a landslide. I would not be comfortable living there. 




No comments:

Post a Comment