Wednesday, November 04, 2020

Crashing waves - with gouache

Another attempt with gouache. Looks good from a distance, not so good up close. I really need to learn to reserve more whites when painting! I painted this view from photos I took at Clogher beach on the Dingle Peninsula, part of the famous Wild Atlantic Way. It was September and the weather was pretty good. Yet, there was quite a swell. The beach is marked as dangerous for swimming. Although we were there a few days later, the sun was shining and the sea was as calm as I've ever seen it there. A few people were in the water, not venturing too far, though. 

I really wish I'd been there a week or so ago, when we had the big storms hitting the West. I'd say it was spectacular. I have found a website with some strong photos of Clogher Beach during storms, so I might use these for inspiration, although I don't normally use someone else's photos to paint from. It's like I can't feel what they felt and therefore I can't paint it. I might use them for wave and seaspray practise, though!


No comments:

Post a Comment