Saturday, November 21, 2020

Coloured darks

Next step in Marion Rivolier's book - mixing coloured darks. I love colour, and I have no problem mixing pigments to represent local colour. But I still struggle with darks. So here is what I did, using the reduced palette I showed you in the previous post:


My conclusions:

  • I find the Indigo mixes very dull and disappointing. I think the indigo I have is a Schmincke Indigo. It's a pan, not a tube, and I don't know the pigment number. Maybe I should try a different brand?
  • The Ultramarine mixes are full of life, but not very dark.
  • The Carbazole Violet mixes make me happy. I will definitely use it with Transaparent Red Oxide, and with Sap Green. I already adore the mix with Cobalt Blue.
  • Bloodstone Genuine doesn't really shift the colour in the mix, just makes it duller. But I love the granulation. Not sure it will achieve what I need for coloured darks, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment