Thursday, September 05, 2019

St Audoen

Quite a panorama from St Audoen's Park, which has been reclaimed by Dublin City Council for everyone to use and enjoy. Apparently, they found 2,000 used needles when cleaning it up! There's still a security guard there to make sure ordinary citizens and tourists alike can enjoy this lovely park.


Sometimes, I feel like I'm so slow sketching, but I'm often finished before everyone else, so I generally have time for a second or third sketch. I went inside St Audoen's visitor centre (free to the public) and sketched the arches in the graveyard. I did minimal measuring and drew straight to ink. I'm happy with the overall perspective, but I left too much space between the 2nd and 3rd pillars (the ones closest to me), so the arches don't look very gothic. Still, good enough in the time I had. Plus it was getting cold! I knew I had sketched these arches before - it's 3 years ago, actually, and when I look at the photo, the arches are quite wide, so I'm not as far off the mark as I thought. Ever positive, that's me!


2 comments:

  1. THESE ARE FAB. I still think you have a book in you about the hidden Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Cathy! Well, there's actually a more famous urban sketcher who's currently working on that project, so I've missed my chance!!!

    ReplyDelete