Thursday, September 12, 2019

Food and café sketching


Sometimes, you just want to stay indoors and not have to face the elements - particularly when you're wearing a dress and a cardigan rather than your usual jeans and tshirt and fleece! I really didn't have a game plan for this sketch. But I had an appetite - and the Fumbally's Tuscan beans dish was delicious! I was not finding an easy view to sketch so I started drawing what was on the table, completely all over the place and even my shadows were wrong, but I was relaxed and enjoying myself, so they don't all have to be structured and interesting!

After that, I decided I needed to draw more people, following the advice Veronica Lawlor gave me at her workshop in Amsterdam: (I paraphrase) "If you don't draw people, you will improve your skills in drawing other things, but your people will be lagging behind and will always look more amateurish". She said it much better than that. So here is my output (actually, I drew three sets of people but the second one was so awful that I abandoned it!):


Something went wrong with proportions there - I should have changed things around - there were actually 4 people at that table and things got out of hand!
And then the weather looked a bit better and I found a nice spot under an awning where I could stand. And then it started to rain, horizontally! Some days are not meant to be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment