Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Tree



Although I am happy to sketch anywhere, I have to say that sketching so close to my house was a bit nerve-racking. But we're so lucky to live in an estate with a big green and amazing trees and the sun was shining, so I had to seize the day!! No twitching curtains to report. Although I was so absorbed in my painting that the whole neighbourhood committee could have been standing behind me and I wouldn't have noticed!

This tree is always the last one to go green. But when it does, it's spectacular! It's some kind of willow I guess, so I wanted a passage in Ulysses that made reference to the willow tree shape and also to food. I found this one, which I loved instantly:

'Quite an excellent repast consisting of rashers and eggs, fried steak and onions, done to a nicety, delicious hot breakfast rolls and invigorating tea had been considerately provided by the authorities for the consumption of the central figure of the tragedy who was in capital spirits when prepared for death and evinced the keenest interest in the proceedings from beginning to end but he, with an abnegation rare in these our times, rose nobly to the occasion and expressed the dying wish (immediately acceded to) that the meal should be divided in aliquot parts among the members of the sick and indigent roomkeepers’ association as a token of his regard and esteem. The nec and non plus ultra of emotion were reached when the blushing bride elect burst her way through the serried ranks of the bystanders and flung herself upon the muscular bosom of him who was about to be launched into eternity for her sake. The hero folded her willowy form in a loving embrace murmuring fondly Sheila, my own. Encouraged by this use of her christian name she kissed passionately all the various suitable areas of his person which the decencies of prison garb permitted her ardour to reach. She swore to him as they mingled the salt streams of their tears that she would ever cherish his memory, that she would never forget her hero boy who went to his death with a song on his lips as if he were but going to a hurling match in Clonturk park.'


No comments:

Post a Comment