Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Cupid Chastised

Fabulous life-drawing session a couple of weeks ago. Three models posing to reproduce the painting "Cupid Chastised" by Bartolomeo Manfredi.
Our models were Angela, Brian and Pierce. We started the class with individual poses, and then for the longer poses, the models attempted to reproduce the scene between Mars, Venus and Cupid. Amazing to see them in action, and to realise how hard it was to hold these poses for 15/20 minutes.  They took turns in taking the different roles.


20 minutes, Polychromos pencil. Lots of energy from Mars here. Venus looks a bit distracted, though. And I ran out of space for Cupid.

Watercolour and pencil. I really like how the shading worked on this. I felt the important relationship was between Mars and Cupid, so I worked these two in more detail. But I had ran out of space for Mars's head and hand. So I painted these on another page. When I got home, I redrew these and glued the piece onto the page.

I think this one was the last of the night, and all three models were tired I'd say. Mars doesn't look as angry. For this one, after drawing with my Sailor Fude, I decided to paint the tension points in red. And then I united the three characters with purple paint.

And here are the charcoal preparatory sketches. Some of these I have to say I wasn't sure which way to turn them!!







No comments:

Post a Comment