Thursday, February 14, 2019

Dancing at the crossroads

Or Dancing with the Stars?
Well, actually it was Chinese Square Dancing in Temple Bar, part of the celebrations for the Chinese New Year.
And what fun it was. Organised by the Chinese community in Dublin, this was a mix of performance and audience participation, with dragon dances in between. A wonderful way to get to know a little bit more about Chinese popular culture. And to stay warm on a cold day!
I had brought minimum supplies, mostly Posca markers and my small Firmo Diário Gráfico. A good few Dublin Sketchers were there, ready to capture the moment, each in their own style. It was cold and damp, but the square was sheltered by the wonderful giant umbrellas designed just for that purpose.
And I had so much fun - not my most detailed sketching, but I was in the zone! And when it got too cold, well, I put my sketchbook in my bag and joined in for one last dance! A wonderful afternoon!




Letting my inner child express herself!

Once it got too cold to stay outside, we retreated to the IFI and had a hot drink. I sketched an approximation of Emma.
A wall - two walls actually in the IFI

I didn't do this sketch. My friend Emma did - she captured me while I was dancing. She caught the action pretty well, don't you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment