Sunday, February 24, 2019

Clarendon Street Church and a few portraits

I did this preliminary sketch of the courtyard at the church off Clarendon Street. A beautiful place. I had never been there before, would you believe it! I was quite happy with my measuring and comparing angles and relationships. But then it started to rain and I decided to go indoors. And now I'm torn between leaving this sketch as it is, or adding ink and/or watercolour. I'm going to have to sleep on it until I can decide what to do with it. It's the last page of a sketchbook, so it's easy to leave it alone, but it could also be a good opportunity to try something, even if it doesn't work out, nobody will see it!

When I got indoors, I didn't really have a view that tempted me, so I sketched my friend Aideen. As she was sketching me too, she looks pretty serious in these. Not my best work, but it was good to catch up with each other and chat with another sketcher who was working at the table behind us. Sometimes, a good afternoon is not defined by the quality of the sketches, but just by how it felt at the time! It's always wonderful to meet up with Dublin Sketchers!
Apart from the eyes placed too high, this is probably the best of the three!!
This is how she will look when she's 75-80. She really is much prettier than my representation of her!



This was my last attempt. Maybe I painted my despair! 

No comments:

Post a Comment