Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Life Drawing, charcoal, watercolour, pencil, pen

Last week's model was Michelle. I really like her as a model. Some of the poses she takes are so natural that you feel she's sitting at home chatting to a friend.

I was experimenting with watercolour pencils, normal pencils and ink, and different papers. It didn't always work out the way I wanted. But it's all good! Life Drawing, for me, is not about the finished product, but about seeing, measuring and experimenting.

Lately I've been working on smaller paper, as you know. And I'm still struggling with keeping the full form on the page, but I'm getting there. The one thing I noticed this time, though, was the major distortion from working from a sitting position rather than standing at an easel. On one of my charcoal drawings, there is a huge disproportion between the top of the body and the legs - and that's on a 10-minute pose, where I should have taken time to measure!! Something I need to pay attention to next time!!

This is my favourite of the evening, even where the ink bled into the watercolour. Sailor Fude pen and watercolour.

This one would have worked out better if I had used a lighter watercolour pencil colour - it's a little too pink pink.

  This was the last pose of the evening and I was getting tired. And I ran out of space.

I'm pleased with how this worked out despite the chair being way too small. But 10 minutes goes quickly when you're trying to get everything in and measure proportions, watch out for negative shapes and relationships between the various parts!


 This is the one where I got the proportions completely wrong - just in case you didn't notice!

Just to show that even when I only have 5 minutes, I can measure. So I really have no excuse when I have double the time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment