Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Christmas in Ghent

Not much time for sketching during our trip to Ghent for Christmas. But I did manage three on our travel over - Dublin airport, Ryanair flight and train from Brussels. Once we arrived, I only found the time for one sketch from our hotel window - a gorgeous view of the Belfry with its golden dragon on top. I could go to Ghent for a whole week and sketch non-stop! It's such a beautiful and compact city. And I enjoyed my first continental Christmas market there!

All done in my Firmo Diário Gráfico!

Posca marker. Is it only on flights to Belgium that people start queuing so early? And Ryanair's new hand-luggage system doesn't work. There were more people in Priority than non-Priority, so if you were at the end of the Priority queue, you would have trouble finding a space for your luggage in the overhead bins. We stood early enough and I sketched - the time passed quickly enough.

Zebra brush pen - just as well it leaked, as the proportions of the man's face were all wrong. So I started again with a Polychromos pencil. The man had very strong features, but he was moving non-stop, so I had to be very patient, literally drawing one line at a time!

 Not much of a likeness. Something not right with the nose. But nice new glasses

Ghent's Belfry, with the golden dragon on top. They have a beer called Gulden Draak!

No comments:

Post a Comment