Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Teapots and jugs

Oh boy, I'm way behind in posting. Busy Busy. I don't know if it's good or bad. On the one hand it will force me to be really succinct. But on the other, I've forgotten about how I felt when I did some of these pieces.  So I might miss to say something that was important to me at the time. Anyways, we'll get started and see where that leads us.

So the idea of this exercise is to move away from lines and to start to see the overall shape of a complex object or group of objects.

I started with an old yellow teapot, a yellow mug and a little dish with yellow circles inside. Looking just at the shape and painting only the yellow, without worrying whether if it was yellow from the teapot or yellow from the other two dishes is a great way to forget you're tackling a complex shape. Still, I found it tough enough. And I was a bit heavy-handed when adding the shading.

I find that negative shapes are a better way for me to see. Although I'm not sure that comes through here!!

The final exercise was the one I enjoyed the most! I think it shows. A combination of negative shapes and shadow shapes. With the all-important thumbnail study to start with! When I look back to how I tackled this same exercise in September 2016, I feel I've come a long way, and it gives me courage to continue on my artistic journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment