Thursday, January 17, 2019

The slump

Hitting a block in my watercolour practise. I think it's to do with the fact that I'm trying to paint 'a painting' rather than just enjoying shape, tone, textures and colour. Best thing to do when that happens is to go back to basics and just play with paint!! Just as well I had a box of sample paper I bought probably a year ago!

 This is not the way I want to paint, but yet, that is the best of the three that I tried of that view!!

Textures with cling film. I used to apply clingfilm a lot. Now I know why I stopped doing it.


This was a lot of fun, with paint dripping everywhere! Two of my favourite colours, Pyrrole Red and Cobalt Turquoise (PG50). And a mix with ultramarine too. Yummy granulations.

Well, it is a long time since I've done a gradated wash. This was so satisfying! And I used just the right balance of water and pigment and my paper didn't buckle, despite not being stretched!

Am I ready to go back to painting a painting? Big intake of breath. Not sure is the answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment