Saturday, February 10, 2018

Deep Work

I'm in the middle of reading a book that will change my life, I think. It's called Deep Work, Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World, by Cal Newport.
In the past few years, I've begun to realise that I spend my days doing a bit of this, and a bit of that, but not investing any time to really get into anything. I find that this is most troublesome to me in terms of my painting - I do a bit of drawing, a bit of sketching, a bit of watercolours, a bit of acrylics. And that's all good - better than nothing. And I know that I'm at the stage where doing anything at all is an achievement. But I never seem to set aside a good block of time to just paint, to develop my skills, to practise. Yes, life is busy. There is an elderly cat, a lively dog, there is paperwork, laundry, etc. But compared to others, I really have no excuses - my husband is not demanding - he cooks, he even does the grocery shopping. I don't have children. I should have plenty of time to paint.
I'm only about half way through this book, but I can see already lots of strategies for solving this problem, for making time, for avoiding distractions. I'll let you know how I get on. Or maybe not! One of the strategies seems to involve dropping out of social media!!

No comments:

Post a Comment