Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Palettes for Sketching Now Watercolour

New Year, New course, New sketchbook, Same paints.

So I'm snatching little bits of time to get myself ready for it!

I'm going to try a Stillman & Birn Beta Series (Portrait, A4, hardbound, hard cover) sketchbook this time. It will be interesting to see how the paint works on this paper. I'm so used to my Moleskine watercolour sketchbook at this stage that it will feel very strange to move away from it.

So, rather than changing everything, I'm going to stick to my usual sets of paints. Yes, sets. Plural. I guess I could pack them all into one box, but having them separate forces me to think about my colour choices. And it's what I'm used to for urban sketching anyway. Some of the colours are not very transparent. Some not at all actually. But I really love most of the colours in my sets. The only two I have doubts about are the Chinese White (I don't think I've used it once - I keep thinking it might be useful for something, but I haven't found that something yet) and Bloodstone Genuine (but I'm keeping an open mind about it - it would be good if I wanted real good darks)

So, come January 10th, I'll be all set!




No comments:

Post a Comment