Wednesday, February 01, 2017

IMMA - Dublin Sketchers


January has been a bit of a whirlwind. February is starting busy too. But looking at my calendar beyond this week, it looks a lot more settled. Mind you, I'm not complaining! I love my life! 

Two weeks ago, I was at the Irish Museum of Modern Art, and I drew this little shed!

Really, there was nothing else I wanted to sketch! Is it just me, or does anybody else find the modern art on show boring and pretentious? I was there before and I remember really interesting and aesthetically appealing stuff. But not this time. And so far, I've stayed away from drawing the beautiful building that is Kilmainham hospital. All those lines, arches, windows and symmetry is too intimidating.

So I wrapped up well and tackled this small little building, right beside the bike shed. As usual, the water-soluble ink bled a little when I applied my watercolours, but I was careful, and I managed to limit the damage, except for the doors - I should have drawn the plank lines after painting the lovely blue. But I was engrossed in my drawing, and didn't think beyond black ink on white page. I should reserve that ink for grey-scale sketches. Still, I like a good challenge. Including the challenge of sketching/painting outdoors in January. But I have to remind myself that this is Ireland. It never really gets that cold. Windy and wet, yes, but not the kind of cold that we experience on the continent. So, it's one of my resolutions for 2017 to do more plein air work. Let's see how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment