Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Destruction


I started this painting a long time ago. It evolved. At first I wasn't sure where I was going with it. Some skyscraper shapes started to evolve, but also a wave of, something, water, lava, mud, blood? I don't know what it is. But it is swallowing the city, submerging it, destroying it. 

The old myth of Atlantis of course. But also global warming and rising sea levels. A tsunami. Or the tsunami. And of course Syria. I saw a photograph of Aleppo. All destroyed. All dust. All beauty gone. It affected me. But the destruction I envisage is more colourful than Aleppo. A message of hope maybe.

After looking at it for weeks, all I had to do in the end was to unify it, first with a matte medium layer, then a gloss varnish. All done.

No comments:

Post a Comment