Friday, January 01, 2016

My glasses

I always struggle when I've stayed a few days without drawing. In this case, it was over 10 days. And I missed it. But I just could not fit in the time, even for a simple little drawing like this one, which took me 5 or 10 minutes, if even that.

It wasn't so much a matter of time really. It was more to do with my head and my heart not being in the right place for allowing myself to draw. Like it's too trivial a pursuit. Whereas keeping counter tops clean and the dishwasher going was much more important to the smooth running of things.

And despite my good intentions, I never got around to drawing our visitors. They would have been perfect live subjects, but emotional attachments make it difficult to sit down and draw one's parents. Particularly when one isn't confident in one's skills. Or concerned about potential or imaginary comments and/or disappointment in/disapproval of the resulting drawing. Why am I even using the neutral "one"? Trying to distance myself? Who am I fooling?

So, glasses are much easier to deal with, despite their angles and curves. Breathe in. Breathe out.

No comments:

Post a Comment