Monday, December 06, 2010

Star Trek movie

OK, it's just called Star Trek, and I'm probably the last Trekkie fan to watch it. We had downloaded it a while back, but I felt that an iPod Touch screen would be too small for it really. So when I got my lovely new iPad, I transferred it over and watched it last Thursday or Friday.

At that stage, I had all my paperwork up-to-date, I had done everything I could for customers who needed our help, and I wasn't going to set foot outside in the snow, so it was the perfect time for a movie.

It was very good - if you're a Star Trek fan, that is. The first part is pure Star Trek - big space battle scene, big baddie, big hero, big human angle. Then it moves more into a standard Hollywood film for a large part of the action - chase scenes, cheeky chappie, tongue-in-cheek dialog, to appeal to the younger generation, I guess. It moves back to classic Star Trek mode for the final part, as Leonard Nimoy's Spock makes an appearance. Though I have to say I've grown quite fond of the young Spock as played by Zachary Quinto (of Heroes fame).

I'm a Next Generation girl, but I know my classic Star Trek characters - James T. Kirk, Spock, Sulu, Dr McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, and it was very entertaining to see them all as just-graduated cadets and to discover how they get to meet each other and how they interact.

Big movie needs a big screen, yes? Well, I just watched the first scene back on my iPod Touch, and it's actually quite good - very sharp.

Hey, look at that, someone went to the trouble of creating a little collage of the old and new Star Trek actors. They look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment