Friday, December 10, 2010

Dawn/Dusk at Caraguilhes

Another interpretation on the same theme of low sun over snowy fields in the Corbières. This time with lots of textures rather than smooth washes.

Take 1 - sky done with cling film, and sun scrubbed with a Cheap Joes scrubber brush. At that stage, I thought it wasn't going to work - the colours were clashing too much, the sky looked contrived, and the hills were way too blue:


















Take 2 - I added a wash of orange over everything to bring it all together (the same mix as I had used for the sky - red violet + green yellow - PV19+PB29+PY184 - the blue in very small amounts, just enough to dull the permanent rose). And all of a sudden, it worked:


















Now, I'm thinking of painting it again, but with a yellow orange + violet blue mix (cadmium red + cadmium yellow + ultramarine blue). I just played with those colours and they produce some deep khakis and petrol blues that glow beside the yellow orange.

A great book if you want to explore textures is "Watercolour Textures" by Ann Blockley. It provided all the technical information I needed for this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment