Saturday, September 04, 2010

Handle with Care

Earlier this summer, Mary gave me the loan of Handle with Care, by Jodi Picoult, another story about a special child and her mother. Willow suffers from brittle bone disease. She is a very brave little girl, but the slightest bump or knock causes her bones to break. The bills are mounting, and a lawyer tells her mother she could sue for wrongful birth. A difficult decision, all the more painful as her gynecologist is also her best friend.

Still recovering from the disappointment of House Rules, I was not expecting much when I started this book, and, although it does follow some of Picoult's well-rehearsed themes, I thought it was a thoroughly good novel. I felt that Willow's sister's character (Amelia) was well developed and it was interesting to see her story unfold in parallel to the main drama. So it's with anticipation that I'll get ready to read my next Jodi Picoult - Salem Falls. And looking at her website, there are plenty more of her novels awaiting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment