Friday, March 15, 2024

Colours that pop with Suhita

Nothing like an online workshop to re-ignite the fire!! Suhita Shirodkar is a great teacher, in person and online. Here she partnered with Art Toolkit to give us a workshop about finding colour where there is none! Well, not quite, but about rethinking our way of looking at a landscape or a scene that we would call dull on first impression.

It started with mixing colour and swatching, one of my favourite things to do, and then using these colours and seeing how they can be applied to scenes that are quite subdued, foggy landscape, grey pebbles. 

I was so inspired by this workshop and I really think it's unlocked the part of me that sees the joy of spring where other people might only see another dull day in Dublin!

We worked from Suhita's photos, first in pen and watercolour, then we added pencils and other colourful tools. Leaving whites, using strong blacks for attracting attention, and following the contours of the shapes rather than applying big bland washes are the three things I want to keep in mind next time I'm sketching.









No comments:

Post a Comment