Thursday, March 07, 2024

Beara Peninsula Day 1 - It's snowing!

Just back from the West Coast of America, and I'm driving to the West Coast of Ireland!

An exhilarating drive down to Kenmare. The light was amazing. I took a wrong turn and ended up driving through Cork city centre. It was quite straightforward actually, but probably lost 45 minutes on the way. But then, drove the Macroom bypass and the road was so good and fast. And I could see snow on top of the higher mountains. It was so beautiful!

The following morning, I drove to the Beara peninsula. Stopped at my favourite spot where the landscape opens up. Sketched from the car. And it snowed! Thankfully it didn't stick. After that I went to Derreen Gardens, which were in great shape despite the wet weather. I found shelter in various spots. It was all very exciting. I was the only visitor to the gardens. The gardeners said hello. And when I drove back towards Kenmare, the sun was hitting the snow on the top of the mountains on the other peninsula. It was magical!

Some of these sketches will be part of the Crosscurrents project for ArtNetDLR. We still have a lot of work to do, but today, I scanned my sketches and we looked at them on the telly. There are a few I need to scan again to improve the quality. And yes, I should have worked in a sketchbook that matches the 16:9 television format. Didn't think of that. Don't even know if there is such a thing. And I don't think I have the skills to make my own accordion sketchbook, nor the patience and time! And of course, once I start sketching on location, I forget everything, so I didn't leave enough space at the top of most sketches for Cathy's words to fit. Brendan is already thinking of technical solutions for that, thankfully!

Not all sketches will make it into the final project, as not all of them will work with the words and music. As as I said, once I start sketching, I forget everything else. It's a very immediate thing, not like planning a painting, and doing thumbnails, etc. I see something that catches my eye and imagination, and I have to sketch it. Cathy and Brendan might not find my fascination with the mountains and rocks of Beara quite as inspiring!! But we have made a start. And I'm excited!






No comments:

Post a Comment