Monday, July 05, 2021

Wilton Place

We had fabulous weather for our Sunday outing with Dublin Sketchers at Wilton Place, beside the canal between Leeson Street and Baggot Street. It's an area I knew well, as I worked nearby and one of my main clients was based in a small building that's now gone. I used to love going for meetings there, as they had lovely views of South Dublin from their offices, on the 6th or 8th floor, I can't remember exactly. I was lucky at the time to be working for a company that was well managed and projects ran smoothly for the most part. I always remember that time as a happy time in my life. I had just met Brendan and my job was not stressful. I changed jobs a year or two later after the company was sold, and ended up in a much more challenging job. Anyway, I digress. So there is a new building under construction beside the little park (Chair Park) and I knew it's what I wanted to sketch. It was that or a boat on the canal, and I'm not good at drawing boats!! I started in direct watercolour, but I kind of lost my way, and ended up adding pencil on top of the areas that I wasn't happy with. I'm quite satisfied how it turned out in the end, all whimsical and colourful!

 
We gathered in Chair Park, and it was a lovely end to the afternoon. I did a quick sketch of the people across the way, and then got lost in chatting with everyone. Nothing makes me happier than talking about urban sketching with people who are passionate about it too!


And here is my "urban sketcher" photo, showing my sketch and the scene in front of me. I can never get a good shot that shows my sketch well and the scene well. For one, my arms are too short (it's always a problem for selfies too, believe me!). And then I can never get the right light. I was standing in the shade of trees, so my sketch looks dark and green! Next time I'm at a symposium, I will ask tips from the professionals!!


No comments:

Post a Comment