Sunday, July 25, 2021

Te Anau peaceful evening

Why do I stiffen when I move up to Half Sheet?

I think that asking the question leads me straight to the answer - because it feels like a "proper painting", because I'm using up precious material, because in my mind, I think of it on a wall. So the bottom line is that I lose the "play" element that's so important to me. Plus I'm just copying the previous, smaller, version where I solved all the problems on the fly, and there's an energy that comes with that - the living dangerously, taking risks.

So, while I'm not totally unhappy with this version of Te Anau evening, it feels stiffer, less playful. It's like those trees have become big menacing things rather than just a few light bold strokes of paint!

So what do I do? I paint more of course. I've only done 4 half sheets since the end of January. Compared to how many quarter sheets, thumbnails and urban sketches? There's my answer!





No comments:

Post a Comment