Sunday, July 11, 2021

Grangegorman and Dominic Street

Some days you feel like you're not in the zone, but when you look back at the sketches, things worked out better than you thought!

On this occasion, we ended up walking from the Hugh Lane to the Grangegorman campus. Only to hit a busy time and lots of screaming kids. I got a bit of sensory overload and needed to find somewhere quieter. So I went back down the road with Róisín to Granby Lane. I sketched the back of the church on Dominic Street - Kosciol Dominikanow. I don't know why it's a Polish church. But we do have a large Polish community in Ireland. I didn't have much time left, so I sketched standing up and really enjoyed following the lines of this beautiful building. The building on the right is Saint Saviour's, which is a Catholic church. I just liked the contrast of the two buildings.


This was my second sketch: as you can see, I was getting sensory overload from the noise that came from all the kids and parents around us. When I get to that stage, all I can do is get up and leave!


The first sketch was started while things were still relatively quiet. Ireland has become food truck nation. And also food container nation. I liked this shiny airstream-like food truck. Actually, I've just spent the last 10 minutes looking at the Airstream website, but I stopped when I looked at the prices!
I added the kids and more people as it got busier and busier.


And here is the urban sketcher shot:



No comments:

Post a Comment