Thursday, July 15, 2021

Rathfarnham Castle

On a Sunday a few weeks ago, the chosen location for Dublin Sketchers was Rathfarnham. I nearly turned back as it was pouring rain on my way over there. But I'm glad I didn't! I waited in the car for a few minutes, and the rain stopped. I did have to open my umbrella a few times during the afternoon, but I've become quite good at balancing everything while holding an umbrella in my non-dominant hand!

So, Rathfarnham Castle is a big block of a thing. With lots of history and a toy museum inside I think. But I found a good spot where I could hide part of the castle with trees and I worked in ink, as I didn't want to get started in watercolour and then get washed out by the rain. I was happy with the ink drawing so I left it at that and moved on to the pond area.


At the pond, I decided to play with greens. I managed to finish most of the sketch without rain, until I did the mauve clouds - the drops of rain added to the effect. And spot the herons!


Here are my urban sketcher shots. I'm getting better at remembering to take the photos. Not at taking good photos - that's another day's work.



And here's me and my little chair and my umbrella!


No comments:

Post a Comment