Sunday, December 06, 2020

Roofs of South Dublin

We've just moved back to a variant of Level 3 for the Holiday Season, down from Level 5. Not that it's going to make much difference to me, given that the government made an economic decision, rather than a public health one. But on Sunday, we were still only supposed to go within 5 kilometers of home, so I drove to Redesdale Road again, and sat in the car, again, to sketch the view looking down towards the Lower Kilmacud Road. It was good to be out of the house, anyway.

If you're reading Marion Rivolier's book, you'll recognise this exercise about framing the view. I found it really useful - first of all working in monochrome is so hard for me. But it helped me focus and notice the light instead of the colours. And placing 4 different aspects of the same view on the page tells its own story. I'm a bit annoyed with myself that the text I wrote breaks the harmorny of the lovely shapes I painted, but hey, that's what a sketchbook is about, learning and experimenting!

Oh, and the theme from Dublin Sketchers was rooftops.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment