Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Merrion Square

Trying out different approaches in my sketchbook. I'm on a voyage of discovery. For my sketching style. Like most people in Ireland, I can't travel anywhere, and the weather hasn't been great this summer (yes, I'm already referring to summer in the past - come August in Ireland, you just feel that summer is on its way out). We haven't even done the staycation thing. I just don't fancy going to the West, as it's probably too busy at the moment. Maybe in the autumn...

Well, I wasn't the only one enjoying a dry day in Merrion Square, but there was plenty of space for everyone to enjoy. It always takes me a while to settle into sketching, and I often end up doing many sketches. My philosophy is that it's better to do 4 sketches, which might include a half decent one, rather than spend 2 hours doing one sketch, and being unhappy with it!  
I started with the Stay Safe Disney-style mushrooms, ruining many a family photograph, as I was sitting behind the display! I then moved to the corner with the cranes where they're working on the ESB building. I love a good building site to sketch! Then, I reminded myself to include people in my sketch, and focused on the small group with bicycles. I like the little blue windows I did with my Kuretake Zig marker! And then I continued on with markers for Father Ted's chair and a tree. I had no idea why it's called that! But I googled it and here is why!

We met as a group around 4pm. Before Covid, we used to meet in a café or a pub, and we'd chat and exchange sketchbooks. Now we meet in a socially-distanced circle outdoors, and we do a show-and-tell of our sketches. Not my cup of tea - I'm not a big group person, I prefer talking one to one, but hey, there's a pandemic, and I'll get used to it!



No comments:

Post a Comment