Thursday, August 13, 2020

Lobster boat

What can I say. I like the studies I did better than the painting itself. It's like the sum of the parts is lesser than each individual element! I like the colours, I like the composition, I like the value contrast (although maybe it's too much middle-tone, not enough light values, and the darks not dark enough?), I like the roof, I like the shadows, I like the lobster pots, I like the ropes, I even like the water. But I don't like the overall painting. I would say food for thought, except no immediate thoughts on how to remedy this come to mind!! It might just be that boats don't really interest me. But I felt that I had to paint one, because it was a challenge. Also, part of me thinks that this boat doesn't look right in the water, it's like it's top heavy. But I've checked online and lobster boats come in all shapes and sizes. So, any and all constructive feedback is welcome!! But I don't think I'll be painting another boat for a while!!

No comments:

Post a Comment