Monday, August 24, 2020

Les nénuphars - why stop when you're having fun?

At this stage, I would normally be jumping right in to painting. And then be discouraged when it doesn't turn out the way I expected. So what I'm doing now is a "colour mood" exploration. I was inspired by Tine Klein's wonderful blog and her musings on colour temperature. I often find that when I've done "everything right", thumbnails, composition, values, shapes, there's still something that jars and I don't know what it is. Well, of course it could be that I'm using too many bright colours. But I don't mind that. I like bright colours. That's part of who I am, even if it doesn't look like serious art!! But what if the jumble of bright colours expresses the wrong mood? So, now I've done 6 quick studies (in reverse order from the way they appear here), and I changed ONE VARIABLE at a time!! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out this video! 

 


This was such a revelation to me, I have to admit. I might even say this has the potential to change the way I approach art completely!! It's never too late!

So, anyways, here are my 6 colour studies, in reverse order, with all my notes, if you can read them!





So, even if I push this no further, I will always have this little beauty. Next, need to figure out how to not paint the flower and still make it look like a water lily!


No comments:

Post a Comment