Saturday, August 15, 2020

Grand Canal Dock area

We were sketching around the Grand Canal Dock area, but I can never settle in the big square. Initially, I looked for a spot by the water, but nothing grabbed my attention, so I went to a little square behind the Marker Hotel, Chimney Park. And yes, it has a big chimney, and palm trees, and a playground. The park is "centred around a redbrick 19th-century Gasworks chimney. Originally used for coal-burning in the production of gas, the conservation report states that it is “one of the only remaining structures that symbolises the industrial history of the Docklands area”'. I have sketched this view before. I'm not sure this version is any better!


Then I got absorbed in the view of the Convention Centre from where I was sitting, but I made a mess of it!

Then I decided to sit outside at a café, got a horrible matcha latte from Insomnia, and did a quick sketch while sitting at the table. Not very focused. No perspective whatsoever. My mind was on other things. I'm just glad I sketched at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment