Friday, August 21, 2020

City Quay

One of the things I love about Dublin's architecture is the mix of old and new. The new is not always successful. And the old can be monotonous when you don't want to be painting all these windows in Georgian houses. But we have lots of industrial buildings and churches mixed in with new glass-clad office blocks. And they echo off each other. I just love it. I just wished we had better summers - I always have a woolly hat and mittens in my bag. And an umbrella. But sometimes I'm really sorry I didn't bring my rain trousers, or my big poncho. Hard to find a balance between being ready for all weathers and bringing a suitcase with me!

On this particular day, I was well wrapped up and I found nice little spots where I was able to settle into sketching straight away. My inner critic had taken a break and I got into the zone! I moved across the Liffey after a short while and got lost into the pyramid shape of this iconic office building. And I couldn't resist a third sketch, mixing the old and the new. I think I got the proportions of the church better in that one!

Apart from a few of us sketchers, there were not too many people about. A few tourist going into the EPIC  Emigration Museum. And a few groups of men enjoying a drink together. The pubs are still closed, so they just find a quiet bench and drink and chat. Some were tidier than others, taking regular trips to the bin to throw away their empties!



No comments:

Post a Comment