Monday, May 11, 2020

Brushes and pencils


Pat had chosen a fantastic location for our virtual sketching last Sunday: Howth, a beautiful harbour town just on the outskirts of Dublin, full of possibilities. But I think I had reached saturation with virtual sketching on that day, and decided to sketch from direct observation instead, even if it was just my brushes and pencils, and nothing else, so it doesn't even qualify as an urban sketch. But you know what, I got so engrossed in the process of direct watercolour (no drawing first) that I really didn't care! I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon. I forgot about the world and its worries and horrors. It was just me, my brush, paper and pigments!

And by the way, those brushes are not even the ones I use a lot - they're just the ones that happen to be standing in a cup on my desk, waiting for a tidy-up. Am I the only person in the world who hasn't used the lockdown to carry out a full Kon Mari spring cleaning?

No comments:

Post a Comment