Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Old School in Belfield - Thumbnails and value sketches

So, it's one thing attending a workshop, it's another thing altogether applying what I've learned in my practise. Well, of course, I am as dispersed as ever, so which practise am I talking about? There is the life drawing, the urban sketching, virtual or at home. There's even the yoga practise. But, although what I have learned about composition, shapes and values can be applied to all of the above, well, except yoga, what I really want to change is the way I paint in watercolours.

So I had a photo from one of our walks in UCD - an old school-house near the department of Architecture. Most beautiful little building. Actually the 4 buildings around that square are stunning. How did I not know they were even there?? As soon as I can, I am heading back there to sketch on location, as long as I can find a little corner where nobody can approach me - I'll have to find a way to create a 2-meter exclusion zone, so I can sketch in peace. And I really will need masks for that!

So I did 4 versions with markers and 19 versions, 19 versions!, in watercolour. For me, 7, 10 and 12 are the winners. Tell me what you think!!
And my big question is: is this another form of procrastination? Should I limit myself to 5? But then I would never have reached my three favourites!
Let's see where this leads to!





No comments:

Post a Comment