Sunday, May 10, 2020

And Sumi - you can't hurry love

But let's add a second page to my story of love (inspired by the amazing Matlet) - Sumi. Timber and Sumi. Doesn't have the same ring as Romeo and Juliet... Despite our best efforts, these two haven't fallen in love yet. 

We had great hopes. Timber had always loved our previous cat, Willow (who died nearly 2 years ago at the age of 18). That love was unrequited, it has to be said. So after our plan to get an older cat fell through, we had decided that a kitten would be good for Timber. I remember the first day I came home with Sumi. I even filmed the first encounter - Timber was relaxed, so I opened Sumi's travel box - Timber, 30kg, Sumi, 1kg. What ensued isn't on camera, thankfully. Sumi hissed and spat and made it very clear he wanted nothing to do with that smelly beast. And Timber became over-excited. And I had to learn how to put up a baby gate all by myself! Did I mention that Brendan was in Japan at the time? 
So we had to go back to square one - keep them in separate rooms, exchange blankets, introduce them gently with the baby gate firmly closed so that nobody would lose an eye. The vets were very supportive, but told us it could take months. And Sumi was a wild, crazy kitten. So it was a struggle. 

But we have a routine now. They time-share our bed. Sumi spends the morning and the evening outside, chasing birds and other cats. Timber might even sneak in upstairs to be near me when I'm in my office. Sumi sleeps in the afternoons in his little basket near me. And we are making progress. But Sumi is just not interested in getting to know Timber. Timber hasn't given up hope, though. Some day, it will happen. You can't hurry love!




No comments:

Post a Comment